Crossett, Arkansas (my hometown from 1958 - 1963)

"I was raised in a small town..." 

I was born in Chicago and I've lived in Michigan for over 50 years, so I am a bona fide midwesterner.  But when I was a little girl between the ages of 4 and 13, I lived in Louisiana and Arkansas.  I considered myself a Southerner and I never wanted to leave. 

The Crossett years

We moved from my birthplace to Crossett when I was just 4 years old.  

Nicknamed the "forestry capital of the south with two pine trees in the logo of its name to prove it, Crossett is a company town. It is home to a paper mill and lumber industry that supports a town of 5,500 people. More accurately, it used to support that population. When Koch Industries bought out Georgia Pacific, they cut the workforce by half.  

About 10 years ago, the plywood factory burned down. The Koch brothers,
The ruined plywood factory
David and Charles, decided not to rebuild. This leaves Crossett residents facing the same grim economic circumstances that face hundreds of small company towns. Too many people and not enough jobs.

But it was a rosier picture when my dad was recruited for a management job at the paper mill. Back then it was called the Simplex Paper Company and my dad was the plant manager. His star was on the rise.

Cricket time in Crossett

My dad was a manager, but his true gift was production management. He understood extrusion coating and how to move materials through the assembly line. If you needed a milk carton coated with a plastic based film, he was your guy. He wrotte silly ditties about the trials of crickets mucking up the line:
When it's cricket time in Crossett
And the bugs are all around
The bugs are in the paper 
And the bugs are in the ground...
My mom supported my father's career moves, even though it meant leaving her big Italian family in Chicago where she had been born and raised. 

Best schools in the state

She was overjoyed when she learned that Crossett had the best schools in the state - education would attract top talent to the paper mill. It proved to be true. When we moved to Michigan in 1963 both my brother and I got bumped up a grade because we were advanced in our studies. 



1007 Beech Street

I wasn't sure what to expect when we went back to visit our old family home. Time is not always kind to neighborhoods and our house had been modest from the start. When we arrived, the owner Bruce Goyne was out working in the front yard. The house looked welcoming and bright. He put down his rake and gave us a wide smile. "Would you like to go inside?"


My childhood home still looks great and has shake cedar shingles, befitting a house in the forestry capital of the south.


52 years and one owner

His wife Becky introduced herself and explained how her parents had purchased the home in 1970--just seven years after we moved out.  When her folks died, Becky inherited the place and she and Bruce have lived there ever since. 

They have poured their energies into the mid-century ranch and it stands proud and sturdy on the street. Here are some photos of the kitchen:
We often ate dinner together in the breakfast nook

My mom cooked and served many meals in this space

My brother would chase me through the far door into the dining room

These are the original cabinets


The rest of the house looked different, but the bones were the same.  The girls bedroom had become the master suite. The hallway where my mom stored the freezer was just the same as were the screened in porch and other bedrooms. No major additions or changes. Just careful maintenance and redecorating over the years.

Now it's the master suite, but back in the early 60s, all three of us girls shared this lavender bedroom
Owners Becky and Bruce Goyne

The side porch where we had sleepovers

Goodbye Crossett. Thanks for the childhood memories.




Comments

  1. Southern hospitality has been quite evident wherever we’ve been so far but especially so with the folks currently living in both of Donna’s childhood homes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice revisit to your childhood. It was so nice to have a tour by owners! Trail onward!

      Delete
  2. How nice they were outside and so friendly. Cool history. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cam wrote: Are the grove of pine trees still in front of the house in Crossett?
    Also another legacy of the Crossett company and Georgia Pacific is that they dumped toxic chemicals into the water near the paper mill. This is now an EPA super fund site. There is actually a documentary video about this on the internet if you want to look it up. Crossett is a sad and tragic story of corporate greed.
    I do appreciate you finding that house and taking pictures. I remember it very well. I especially remember our Weimaraner dog, Gertrude, who ran free most of the time after scaling a 5-ft fence. She was such a gentle dog. I remember Bobby lying down on her chest to rest as a toddler.
    Looking forward to future updates,

    Cam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lea wrote: How wonderful that you were able to not only find the house we lived in during our years in Crossett and could actually go inside thanks to the current owners who live there now. I especially appreciate the photos. I too have many memories of our time there. Bobby was born in Crosset, and I am still in touch with Alice Bender, whose husband was plant manager of another paper related company in Crossett. Our families had a lot of good times together. The school there was subsidized by the big papermill, and I, a former 4th grade teacher myself, knew my children were getting a very good basic education and was grateful for that. Thanks SO much, Donna, for taking us back down memory lane.
    -- Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could write a book about Crossett! Actually, I did, during the early part of the pandemic when everything was shut down. I call it Pine Mill in my novel, and I use our old address 1007 Beech Street and the house we lived in, and the surrounding neighborhood. Using Google Maps made it easy to visualize the town. It's not autobiographical--only the location and the strict adherence to social mores in 1959. It's about four strong women--two black and two white-- and is very much outside the box. I hope it gets published. I've learned to be patient with all of that. Thanks for writing, Donna! Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck on the book. If you can't find a publisher, you can self publish and still make money. I'll buy a copy, for sure.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to become a sculptor - in 50 short years